Author Topic: I2C  (Read 5701 times)

Joel Moore

• View Profile
I2C
« on: September 06, 2005, 11:15:32 AM »
I've only started looking into I2C this past weekend so I'm not even sure if this question makes sense but is there a simple way to interface with I2C devices using the 888 PLC?

I've seen adapters for communicating with I2C devices using RS232, USB, and parallel ports and some seem pretty simple.  Isn't there a way to use the I/O on an 888 to do the same?

And if there isn't, maybe that's something your PLCs could offer in the future?  An I2C header somewhere on the board?

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Internet Programmable PLCs
Re:I2C
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2005, 03:21:24 PM »
There is no simple way to implement an I2C interface using the current T100MD+ PLC. If there is such thing as I2C to RS232 converter (I am not aware of it) you probably can use the PLC's serial port to connect to the I2C device.

An I2C interface will be an interesting addition for future PLC product. It opens up the PLC to possibility of accessing to low cost external peripherals However, since I2C is 5V logic,  it is easy for users to make mistake and connect to illegal voltages that could toast the CPU. Hence we need to figure out a protective circuit for the I2C interface that can survive some degree of abuse by the user.
Email: support@triplc.com
Tel: 1-877-TRI-PLCS