Author Topic: getting a program off of a PLC  (Read 6634 times)

will

• View Profile
getting a program off of a PLC
« on: May 10, 2002, 05:30:08 AM »
Hi, the new forum looks good.

I recently had my PC at work formatted, losing the programs I had written for my T100MD888 PLC.  The PLC still works fine and after reinstalling the TriLogi software I can communicate PC to PLC.  I tested this by setting the real time clock.  When I try to open the program stored on the PLC I get an error message.

I have tried this two different ways, one by opening the matching source file: I get an error message that says that the file is not found or not a valid TriLogi file.

Then I tried opening the file from the TL server, when I do this I find only an empty directory.

Is there another way to try to download the program from the PLC to the computer?  Am I making some other obvious mistake?  I have hard copies of my programs but I would rather not try to redo the programs on my computer.

Thanks for any advice,

Will
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1076562000 »

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Internet Programmable PLCs
Re: getting a program off of a PLC
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2002, 10:23:14 AM »
Thank you. Glad that you like the new forum :).

The source file is never stored in the PLC. Only the compiled codes and the name of the original source file are transfered to the PLC. So when you format the PC harddisk, the source files are lost.

The "Open matching file" function will ask the PLC for file name and attempt to locate the same file name in the source folder of the user who has log-in. Since the source file is already gone that's why you receive an error message.

Likewise, when you open a file from the TLServer, the TLServer open the files from the PC hard disk, not from the PLC. Again since your source file is already lost when you reformatted the PC, it is not there anymore.

I guess if you don't have a backup you will have to key them in using the hard copy. Test it using the simulator  before you transfer it to the PLC. Alternatively, you could purchase a spare unit of the PLC to play with so that you will not affect the original working program.
Email: support@triplc.com
Tel: 1-877-TRI-PLCS

will

• View Profile
Re: getting a program off of a PLC
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2002, 10:29:39 AM »
Thanks for the quick response, I will have to be more careful about backups in the future.

Will