Author Topic: Nano-10 Application Question  (Read 6418 times)

peterjung

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Nano-10 Application Question
« on: January 20, 2016, 03:35:18 AM »
Hi there!  

I am new to this forum and Triangle products so I would be very grateful if someone can give me some guidance here.  I am considering using the Nano-10 in an industrial motor control application as the main component in an “Intelligent Motor Starter” system.

I plan to have a number MODBUS TCP/IP networks each with 8 Nano-10-PLC’s.  Each network will be connected via MODBUS TCP/IP and Optical Fiber to a DCS system.

I am not particularly familiar with MODBUS TCP/IP & Nano-10 so I just want to check if there are any problems with my concept.  I have attached a quick sketch showing the basic idea.

As I said I will be very grateful for any help and advice!

Thanks

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Internet Programmable PLCs
Re:Nano-10 Application Question
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 09:46:11 AM »
Welcome to the forum and thank you for trying our products!

Your application looks very feasible based on the provided diagram. Note that the Nano-10 could make an outgoing connection via Modbus TCP to the DCS (push data) or the DCS could connect to each Nano-10s Modbus TCP server (poll for new data). If each Nano-10 is pushing data, then the DCS Modbus TCP server must be able to accept at least 8 simultaneous connections since it is possible for all 8 PLCs to contact the DCS at the same time. The Nano-10 is well suited to handle either scenario.

We also recommend adding a transient absorber diode (such as the 1N6282AG) to each PLC output in order to protect the outputs against inductive loads commonly associated with motor control. You can see a wiring example in chapter 1.5.3 of the Nano-10 user manual.
Email: support@triplc.com
Tel: 1-877-TRI-PLCS

peterjung

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2016, 03:42:38 AM »
Support!

Many thanks for the response – very much appreciated!

Regarding your comments on the outputs….I am using the two relay outputs so I assume that the contacts are isolated?

The other output I am using to switch via an interposing relay.

Thanks again!

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Internet Programmable PLCs
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2016, 03:16:59 PM »
Yes, the two relay outputs on the Nano-10 are isolated.

I guess you must already be familiar with the need to protect relay contacts if they have to switch high current inductive load. For the transistor outputs can you use intermediate relays as per your original plan.
Email: support@triplc.com
Tel: 1-877-TRI-PLCS

peterjung

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2016, 02:51:36 AM »
Thanks again!  I appreciate the confirmation on the relays!

Today I got a hold of two Nano-10’s from your local agent and I am currently putting together a test set up.

I am sure I will have some more questions soon - probably on the MODBUS TCP/IP programming side!