Author Topic: Excel link problem  (Read 6621 times)

SunBum57

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Excel link problem
« on: October 24, 2013, 04:52:13 AM »
Having problems writing data to dm locations from excel file.  Works if there are around 10 dms. Over that it's sporadic?  Any reason ?  I have to move 200 data points?  Gets cumbersome doing 10 at a time?

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Internet Programmable PLCs
Re:Excel link problem
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 05:58:15 PM »
This shouldn't be a problem. Excellink will partition the amount of data it retrieves from the spreadsheet and send them in chunks to the PLC. We tested with 50 DMs being transferred from the spreadsheet to the PLC and have no problem.

Is your PC linked to the PLC via serial port or Ethernet?

If it is by serial port,  check if your PLC program is writing out data via the same serial port that could be interfering with TLServer communication with the PLC.

You can also test by transferring a blank program to the PLC and check if the ExcelLink communication works much better.
Email: support@triplc.com
Tel: 1-877-TRI-PLCS

SunBum57

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 07:29:44 AM »
Good Morning.  No , I am using Ethernet connection.  In general I can read the Dm locations (150-200) fine.  But writing them doesn't work so well. If I do 10 at a time it seems to go okay.  One thing I do is to copy the values in the Dm locations to eeprom storage on a regular schedule so I can re-populate the dm locations if there is loss in power? I am pretty sure this isn't causing an issue as it only re-writes the dm locations if the processor does a reboot?

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Internet Programmable PLCs
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 07:05:09 AM »
Which PLC model are you using? If it is Nano-10 or FMD PLC do you have FRAM-RTC-0 or FRAM-RTC-256 installed?

If you save the DM to EEPROM regularly then you should have the FRAM-RTC-xxx installed so that the data are actually saved into non volatile FRAM and not save to the flash memory.

Without the FRAM-RTC-xxx and if you use the SETSYSTEM 252, 0 to back up the pseudo EEPROM to flash memory that can take some time as the block of flash need to be erased and copied from the pseudo EEPROM to the flash memory.
Email: support@triplc.com
Tel: 1-877-TRI-PLCS

SunBum57

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 09:21:31 AM »
Yes I have the RTC-256 installed in each unit I build.  I could add the files I want to the EEprom file that I exported.  Then load them back into the DM locations from the eeprom.  Is there a command that I can send to remotely load the eeprom file from the storage location?