Author Topic: Nano10 SMTP issues  (Read 6107 times)

lberridge

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Nano10 SMTP issues
« on: September 23, 2010, 06:56:34 PM »
I have a  Nano10 doing most everything it was promised:
file services, Internet Time Server polling, even emails.
My problem is the lack of authentification when using the embedded FServer.
I have tried a number of SMTP servers, including Yahoo as in your example, with no success.
When I go through TLServer with the proper authentication
either with the older polling method or the new "tags" approach
(much more useful in my opinion) on Port#1 everything works fine (but not with on line monitoring).
A stand alone PLC without the need for an (always on) PC is an easier sell in an energy conscious "green" environment.
I'm not sure unauthenticated email is such a good thing anyway.
Are there any plans to add this feature?
Can you point me to an SMPT server which does not require authentification?
Please Note: I'm doing development and testing in a typical Linksys WRT100 environment, not using Outlook or Thunderbird
clients.

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Internet Programmable PLCs
Re:Nano10 SMTP issues
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 08:05:45 PM »
Where are you located? What is your ISP?  Many Internet service providers will allow their subscribers to use their SMTP server without authentication since they know the IP address that they issue.

Some medium to large organization also have their own SMTP server to handle outgoing emails and this should not be a problem for such users.

In any case, note that you can also use <REMOTEFS> tag to send your email via the TCP/IP to a remote TLServer on your LAN or the Internet to use its authenticated email service to connect to the SMTP server. In this case the TLServer act as the gateway to authenticated SMTP server for the PLC.

This also give you an opportunity to realize the data logging potential of Nano-10. You can use <REMOTEFS> to connect to TLServer via TCP/IP to open a data file and save data onto the PC. You could format your data in CSV format so that they can be opened by Excel program or database software. This is a very powerful capability.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 08:08:01 PM by support »
Email: support@triplc.com
Tel: 1-877-TRI-PLCS

lberridge

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 03:31:21 AM »
Thank you for the prompt response.
I am in Ohio and my local ISP is Time Warner.
I will contact them today.
I am already using <REMOTEFS> for data logging.It works nicely, but is rather slow the way I have it implemented. I transfer one sample at a time with a PRINT#4 in a program loop. I do it this way because it sets up the csv file for easy Excel import and manipulation. Since the project ultimately will have (hopefully)many geographically dispersed Nano10's reporting to a single TLServer, I will need a faster, more efficient method...perhaps some form of block transfer.
Any suggestions?
Also, is there a program example of the <REMOTEFS> email
capability?

lberridge

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 06:25:15 AM »
I tried enclosing the email request  within the <RemoteFS> tags (as the Nano10 Users Manual clearly describes) and it works!
Thank you for your excellent support.