Author Topic: Need advice on Nano-10  (Read 5130 times)

Exit240

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Need advice on Nano-10
« on: May 02, 2010, 11:28:52 AM »
I apologize about the general nature of my question, but I am looking to fill a requirement for a prototype product and expert advice would be greatly appreciated to know whether or not I am barking up the wrong tree.

I need a PLC or other PC compatible/programmable controller, and the Nano-10 seemed to fit the bill. I need the device to control an inline duct blower (115v, 257w AC). I realize I will need a separate unit or driver. The PLC would have to take into account the fan's rpm, and the inputs of 2 other sensors (with a signal range of .01-6v each)

The PLC would need to be programmable to take the 2 input voltages plus fan rpm and vary the output to control fan speed based on that data, in a linear fashion. Provisions must be made to ease fan into full rpm, or full acceleration or deceleration, depending on certain variables.  

I absolutely will be hiring a local programmer to work with the software. If you need a round peg to fit a square hole I'm of use, in the digital arena I'm a little lost. I appreciate the help!

- Justin, Exit240 Performance

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Internet Programmable PLCs
Re:Need advice on Nano-10
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 07:43:10 PM »
I think the Nano-10 should fit the project. In addition to providing the control you require you can even customize a webpage to remotely control or monitor the operation of your system using your web browser on PC or smart phone.

The key here is the choice of speed controller and the rpm feedback of the AC fan drive.

The Nano-10 can be connected to the two analog 0.01V to 6V with only a single series 4.00K ohm resistor which will scale the 0.01V to 6V signal to 5V fullscale for the PLC.

The Nano-10 can control two of its digital outputs as pulse width modulated signal with 0.01% to 100.00% duty cycle (0.01% resolution, which means 1/10000 divisions). So if your speed controller for the AC fan drive can accept PWM output signal it will work very well.

Alternatively, if the speed controller of the AC fan can accept serial command via RS485 then the Nano-10 can send it speed command via the RS485 port.

In order to measure the current fan rpm, you will need some kind of encoder or a device that can generate pulse trains whose frequency varies directly with the fan speed. You will then be able to connect these pulses to the Nano-10's NPN input to measure the current frequency of incoming pulses to determine the fan speed so that it can compute the desired set speed for the fan and send it to the speed controller (via RS485 or via PWM). Your software can compute the required acceleration needed based on the data it read from the two analog inputs and the current fan speed.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 12:02:38 AM by support »
Email: support@triplc.com
Tel: 1-877-TRI-PLCS

Exit240

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Re:Need advice on Nano-10
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 10:01:56 PM »
     Thank you very much, converting signals to the correct incoming voltage and attaching peripheral device(s) to control final fan speed will be within the realm of my understanding, it was the software control that had me concerned most of all. It is an exciting prospect that I could link to a customer's product remotely and change values and parameters based on their needs. Thank you for the information, I will be placing an order as soon as circumstance allows.