Author Topic: Replacing the M2017P with a OTP PROM  (Read 5682 times)

benb2000

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Replacing the M2017P with a OTP PROM
« on: March 25, 2010, 08:56:22 AM »
I have a mature program. No more changes to be made.

Is it possible to have a One Time Programmable PROM created to replace the M2017P?

The program does not use the M2017P other than for the original program storage.

Thanks
Ben

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Internet Programmable PLCs
Re:Replacing the M2017P with a OTP PROM
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 10:31:55 AM »
If you place the Jump J2 at the "WP" position, it become PROM and the data cannot be changed accidentally. Even if you load a new program into the PLC, the data will not be saved to the EEPROM and the old program will be loaded when the PLC is power on reset.
Email: support@triplc.com
Tel: 1-877-TRI-PLCS

benb2000

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 11:09:28 AM »
My issues go beyond Wrte protecting the M2017P

The issue is the loss of the program, due to electrical transients.

I have gone through the excersize to add ing TVS diodes, as well as isolating the T100MD888 using a Dc/Dc converter.

This is a mobile aplication where power is +12 VDC from a vehicle. We have purchased in excess of FORTY T100MD-888+ units, and I buy replacement M2017P's

My ONLY problem is the loss of the program due to some electrical issue ( Load Dump has been mentioned as the culprit). NO OTHER component has failed as much as the M2017P.

Some times I can re program, but other times, the PLC will not communicate to the host PC, and the solution is to replace the M2017P.

So again is it possible to replace the M2017P with a One Time programmable PROM?.

You have no idea how pissed I am about this issue.

Ben

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Internet Programmable PLCs
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 08:45:53 PM »
We tried to search, but we don't know of any chip manufacturer making OTP in the 8 pin DIP format.  Even if there were in the past, OTP would be like Kodak film - gone obsolete long ago.

But your problem appears to be something is damaging the IC rather than simple loss of memory. If you have used DC DC converter, load dump protection diode etc and still seeing damaged M2017P, that means we have yet to identify the source.

Since it is a mobile applications, is there a possibility of high static discharged into the ground or +5V circuit because of static build up (e.g. rubber wheel). Is the PLC's ground electrically connected to the vehicles' body? Is there any I/O points that could become path of static discharge into the PLC?  Since you have already put transient absorption diode across the power supply and did not resolve the problem, perhaps adding some transient suppressor to the I/Os may be necessary?

I understand your frustration having tried different things but be assured that what you experienced is rare. What are other components you experience damages in this application?
Email: support@triplc.com
Tel: 1-877-TRI-PLCS