Author Topic: Tri-ExcelLink error  (Read 5898 times)

Bruceh

• a llama no longer !!
    • View Profile
Tri-ExcelLink error
« on: August 31, 2009, 01:45:56 PM »
Hi,
I am using Tri_excelLink 1.02 to monitor a T100MD-888+ that is collecting temperature data.

Tri-ExcelLink is collecting the data from DM[1] to DM[8] every 30 seconds. This runs fine for a while until I get the following message in Tri-excelLink:

java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: 16 in S3
Access to S3suspended for 1 minute

If I stop Tri_excelLink, clear the data from the excel spreadsheet then restart the collection it will run again. So far I have had two sessions that ran for 3 to 8 hours before the error reappeared. Any tips on what is causing the error?

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Internet Programmable PLCs
Re:Tri-ExcelLink error
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 08:49:16 PM »
Can you check if the message is always the same from one incident to another? The message shows that there is an "exception" occurred when the ExcelLink tries to fill up data it receives onto the spreadsheet. It could be a communication error occurred. Does the PLC by any chance send serial data out of the same COMM port?

After the exception occurred, does the ExcelLink recover and continue to monitor the data? Or do you have to re start the ExcelLink in order for it to continue to work?
Email: support@triplc.com
Tel: 1-877-TRI-PLCS

Bruceh

• a llama no longer !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 11:56:39 PM »
I will check the message if it reoccurs to see if its the same.

This PLC is at a remote site. It monitors a network of ICP DAS I-7018 analogue input modules on COM3.
COM1 is connected to an ethernet Xserver, which is connected to a VPN server and 3G modem.

The PLC is effectively part of our local network

If I stop ExcelLink then restart everything begins again. The system is currently running and has not shown the error in 46 hrs. Intermittant? Sounds like a communication error.

Thanks for your prompt reply. Is there anything else I should check out?

Bruceh

• a llama no longer !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 01:50:00 PM »
Got this error again last night

java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: 16 in S3
Access to S3suspended for 1 minute

The error kept repeating every minute
The data collection did not restart of its own accord.
When I hit stop and then run on ExcelLInk the process restarted .
Any tips?

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Internet Programmable PLCs
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 10:35:41 PM »
It seems like the error message is repeatable.

I assume site S3 is actively retrieving data from the PLC via the network. How frequently are the data retrieved and how much data? The fact that you could run without error for many hours means that there is likely no obvious problem in the ExcelLink action settings. But something happens in the communication process that throws an unknown Java exception, which causes the ExcelLink program to stop its DDE actions and therefore you need to press the Start button again to restart the process.

Can you confirm that in your program there is no possibility that the PLC could write some data out of its same serial port that was connected to the XServer? If this occurs then it can corrupt the host link communication between the XServer and the PLC and the resulting corrupted data string may cause the ExcelLink to trip.

If you are reading a large array of DM in a single action, try to break them down into two separate actions, each reading half the bank and see if it could eliminate the issue.

You can also try to upgrade to ExcelLink version 2.0 (using the upgrade link on your ExcelLink CD-ROM). The newer version may have better exception handling routine and better error reporting. However, not that version 1.03 and version 2.0 and configuration files are not compatible and you will need to re-define the actions for all the active sites.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 10:36:40 PM by support »
Email: support@triplc.com
Tel: 1-877-TRI-PLCS