Author Topic: Problems Sending Email  (Read 6146 times)

keith

• View Profile
Problems Sending Email
« on: October 12, 2008, 06:16:50 AM »
I'm operating a T100MD+888 with Internet Trilogi 6.1 and a ladder routine that sends an email (through a simple emEVENT function) on selected alarms. I have set up emails through the TLServer 3.0 window and have them activated properly. My problem is that I can't seem to get past my mail servers authentification process.

On run, unit returns a 530 Error - Authentication Failure message(indicating to me that the program is doing what it is supposed to - send email) on each attempt. Programmers Reference (Pg. 3-10) instructs user to check email once prior to sending email on an SMTP server requiring authentication (like mine) but this hasn't worked. I can send and receive emails with no problem on Windows Mail, so I know that I've got my mail settings right. I can find no other information on how to post additional security or authentication data.

Has anyone encountered this problem before? If so, I would very much appreciate any information on a possible solution.

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Internet Programmable PLCs
Re:Problems Sending Email
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 11:31:12 AM »
The Email functions of TLServer and XServer only supports the non-authenticated SMTP servers. Many ISPs allow their own broadband subscriber to use their SMTP server without authentication. You may like to try to use the SMTP server provided by your ISP - please check with your ISP for details.

If you are using your corporate server then please check with your system administrator to see if it can be configured to accept email request from your PC without authentication. Sometime they can configure with trusted IP address

You can also install a personal SMTP server that will handle email sending for you. In that case the TLServer interacts with the personal SMTP server and the personal SMTP server will be the one to send out the email using TCP/IP protocol stack. Please see the following forum thread:

http://www.tri-plc.com/yabbse/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=1194;start=msg3624#msg3624

« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 03:12:47 PM by support »
Email: support@triplc.com
Tel: 1-877-TRI-PLCS

keith

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 07:17:24 AM »
Leon:

Thanks for your response.

Unfortunately, the answer does not make me very comfortable. This seems like it would be a pretty simple fix in TLServer and one that makes a lot of sense given that almost all ISP's are moving to 100% authentication. This severely limits use of the T100MD+ in our planned product migration. That's unfortunate as it's (otherwise) a great product and we had big plans to incorporate it into several classes of devices. Are there any plans to include server authentication in future revisions?

Thanks for your help

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Internet Programmable PLCs
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 11:23:06 AM »
We have just released the TRiLOGI 6.20 and TLServer 3.15.

TLServer 3.15

TLServer now can use SMTP server with non-standard port number and can handle authentication (username/password) if required by the SMTP server. XServer and FServer on F-series PLC can also make use of this new SMTP capability by sending their email through the TLServer 3.15.

TRilOGI 6.20

1) You can now attach descriptive text to any variable to make the program easier to understand, while keeping the same old simplicity of a TBASIC program. E.g. You can now name variable A as A_whatever or C$_whichever_name_is_desirable. You can also do the same to array variable, e.g. DM[1]_Current_status is the same as variable DM[1].  The compiler will ignore any alphanumeric characters (A to z, 0 to 9 and ?_?) that is attached behind the variable name following an underscore character ?_?.

2)    I/O labels now can be up to 16 characters in width. Compressed font is used to display the label when the label name exceeds certain width. Otherwise normal font is used.

3) The Custom Function editor has been completely revamped to make it much more intuitive to use and easier to search for text within the currently opened Custom function or across the entire program.

Many more new features are described at the upgrade site. Please follow the "Upgrade" link in your i-TRiLOGI Help menu to obtain the new upgrade.
Email: support@triplc.com
Tel: 1-877-TRI-PLCS