Author Topic: Server port settings  (Read 7195 times)

cdenk

• View Profile
Server port settings
« on: April 13, 2008, 06:07:35 PM »
With Trilogi Server 3.0 trying to set up the E-mail settings. Not sure what address to use.
1: If I go to Thunderbird E-mail client, outgoing server smtp = 25 port
2: If go WINXP > CMD > IPCONFIG
      ethernet adapter ip address = 10.0.0.4
     tunneling adapter....dns suffix  ip address 10.0.0.4%2

The PC goes through a NAT router/modem to DSL. The router is 10.0.0.2

There is Zonealarm firewall, there are no log entries, and 10.0.0.1 - 10.0.0.5 are set as trusted.

Server shows: IP ADDRESS2 = 0.0.0.0:0:0:0:9080
IP ADDRESS1 = 10.0.0.4.9080

The PC and server communicate OK for programming and online monitor.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2008, 06:11:32 PM by cdenk »

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Internet Programmable PLCs
Re:Server port settings
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 10:13:38 AM »
What is your smtp host? If you only use web based email such as gmail and yahoo then you are not utilizing the smtp host. You can check with your ISP and ask them for the IP address of their SMTP server that you could try to use to send out email.

However, whether you can successfully use the ISP's SMTP server depends on the ISP. Due to the need to combat the spammers many ISPs today put quite a lot of restrictions on the use of their SMTP server, they may require SSL secure login or different server port or other encryption methods. These are not supported by TLServer now so if these restrictions are in place then you may not be able to use the ISP email server.

One solution is to install your own SMTP server. A program we tested previously can be downloaded from:

http://www.postcastserver.com/download/release.aspx?p=3

However, your ISP may still block your own SMTP server from sending out emails through your internet connection (again to combat spams). You will have to run the test to know for sure if it would work.
Email: support@triplc.com
Tel: 1-877-TRI-PLCS

cdenk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 10:45:16 AM »
My ISP is Alltel.net or it's successor Windstream.net. I do not use webmail, and all E-mail is downloaded to the PC. I use Thunderbird for E-mail, others use Outlook (express) with no problems. the server info from Thunderbird includes:
pop.alltel.net port 110
mail.alltel.net port 25 for outgoing

There is no security required. I have checked use TLS if available, but can send and receive with "NEVER" checked.

I didn't have to contact the ISP for a mail server address to set up E-mail first. It seems that it's something that I should have here that Windows and Linux handle automatically. Is that Thrilogi server address (above the check times) a number like 10.0.0.2, or  mail.alltel.net

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Internet Programmable PLCs
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 11:52:52 AM »
Use"Dig" service to find the IP address:

http://www.kloth.net/services/dig.php

I tried it and found out that the IP address of mail.alltel.net is:

Email: support@triplc.com
Tel: 1-877-TRI-PLCS

cdenk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 01:10:05 PM »
Thanks, for the fast reply. Learn something new (DIG) everyday. E-mail is working both with the PRINT# and emEVENT method after putting in the correct address. :)