Author Topic: Java install hangs at end of install  (Read 7318 times)

cdenk

• View Profile
Java install hangs at end of install
« on: February 19, 2008, 06:58:43 PM »
Trying to install Java runtime on a P4 computer with 1G memory with a fresh install of Windows ME. The Java install hangs where the computer hangs at the end of the install and won't even respond to the CTL-ALT- DEL magic keys. Have tried install from the original 3year old Trilogi CD, Web install, and the off line install with the same results. The remove install hangs also.

Has anyone else had this problem and a solution. I have looked many places, have found others with the same problem. The nearest solution was to disable the display directx, but that didn't help.  

As an alternate, would like to run Trilogi under Linux, which is subject of another message.

:)

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Internet Programmable PLCs
Re:Java install hangs at end of install
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 08:15:23 PM »
Which version of Java? Try to see if you can find an older version of JRE such as 1.3.1 or 1.4.2 which should work on ME (at least that works on my Windows ME PC that is more than 6 years old).

Everytime there is a change in JRE or Windows version something wouldn't work the same even though TRiLOGI was 100% pure Java. it is just a fact of programmer's life. As such, even just supporting Java only on Window machine itself is already a challenge and  there is no plan to officially support Linux (which has quite a few variations on itself) even though the TRiLOGI "might" work but we expect some problems here and there that did not happen to JRE 1.4.2.

Email: support@triplc.com
Tel: 1-877-TRI-PLCS

cdenk

• View Profile
Re:Java install hangs at end of install
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 07:28:35 AM »
Was trying to install, and it;s web install conterpart:
Downloaded 1/19/08 the file jre-6u3-windows-i586-p-s.exe
and then tried

Trilogi disk: j2re-1_4_2_06-windows-i586-p.exe (this one had installed previously on same Windows ME install disk, computer changed from 386 to P4. P4 motherboard previously running XP PRO and Java and Trilogi are OK.

Which all failed.

Per suggestion tried version that I downloaded 11/15/2006 - jre-1_5_0_09-windows-i586-p-s.exe
Java control panel reports version 1.5.0_09-b03. It installed and current version of Trilogi appears to be working fine.

Thanks for the tip. :)