Author Topic: USB to Serial port  (Read 6658 times)

Bruceh

• a llama no longer !!
    • View Profile
USB to Serial port
« on: June 27, 2007, 11:01:32 PM »
The laptop I used for PLC programming and monitoring recently died. The replacement laptop does not have any serial ports but does have 4 USB ports.
I got a USB-Serial converter and can get TLServer to see the PLC, can transfer programs to the PLC but not having much success with the on-line monitoring. The link fails and TLServer reports 'poor network conditions'. The guy who sold me the converter said that it only works in about 75% of cases.

Has anyone had similar problems or any success with PCMCIA Type 2 cards that offer a serial port

Any suggestions appreciated...apart from  get another laptop with a serial port!!
I guess this also points to an issue with serial ports being phased out ....how are we going to communicate with TRI PLC's in the future

Bruceh

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Internet Programmable PLCs
Re:USB to Serial port
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 09:03:11 PM »
There are a number of USB to RS232 converters that work flawlessly with the TLServer. See the link below:

http://www.tri-plc.com/yabbse/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=409

We may start to offer a USB-to-RS232 or USB-to-RS485 converter in future since fewer and fewer laptop comes with built-in RS232 converter.
Email: support@triplc.com
Tel: 1-877-TRI-PLCS