Author Topic: PLC multipoint using Lantronix 1100 UDS  (Read 6221 times)

vrclan

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
PLC multipoint using Lantronix 1100 UDS
« on: November 29, 2006, 02:49:04 AM »
Hi, I don't know if this is a bit off topic or what, but I'm really stumped and figured this would be a good place to check for an answer.
I'm trying to get PLC multipoint communication, basically having a "master" PLC talking to two "slaves" over a radio connection. The configuration is set up as PLC to Lantronix UDS 1100 (for serial to ethernet conversion) to Radio, on all ends.
I had a previous configuration like this, but only point to point, and it worked fine.
The problem is with the UDS 1100, it seems to require that I give it one "endpoint" IP to talk to, regardless of whether I use UDP or TCP settings, which in short means I can only get point to point. Ex 192.168.0.1 talks to 192.168.0.2 and vica versa, with no option of directing the UDS to multiple IPs.
Can anyone help me set up the multipoint configuration, or direct me to a better place on which to search for help on this device?
Your help is much appreciated.

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Internet Programmable PLCs
Re:PLC multipoint using Lantronix 1100 UDS
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 09:55:15 AM »
First of all, are the PLCs involved one of our PLCs? We can only advise if it relates to our PLCs. Our Ethernet XServer allows a master M-series PLC to talk to any slave M-series PLC attached to another Ethernet XServer IP address. You just have to issue the <Connect ipaddress> command to XServer to connect to another XServer and then use the NETCMD$ command to talk to one or more slave PLCs connected to that remote XServer.

If you use M-series PLC with Lantronix UDS1100 device server, then you will have to check with Lantronix whether there is a way for the PLC to use RS232 to affect the "end point IP" address in UDS1100? If the PLC has no means of changing what the USD1100 end point IP is, then there is not anything we can do here.  This is not a TRi PLC issue, it is a Lantronix device issue.

If there is a way to do so, then you just have to use the PLC PRINT comamnd or OUTCOMM command to format the serial output to effect the changes so that it can direct the UDS1100 to different end point when it wants to talk to a different slave PLC.

Email: support@triplc.com
Tel: 1-877-TRI-PLCS