Author Topic: MTX-RTC Problems  (Read 7062 times)

plc_user

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
MTX-RTC Problems
« on: September 24, 2006, 05:26:41 PM »
I am sure this has been discussed before, but why does the RTC cause my HMI to time out from time to time.  I read in the doc's a bent pin can cause this, but I checked this several times and it continues to do so.  Any help would be appreciated.  

BTW, I have a MD888+ and this didn't happen before it was installed with the RTC.  I need this  in case of power outage.

plc_user

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Internet Programmable PLCs
Re:MTX-RTC Problems
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 10:17:27 AM »
I don't think MX-RTC has any effect on the HMI. Is your HMI a MODBUS host? MX-RTC only provide the battery backup for the RAM as well as maintaining the RTC which the CPU only check once every hour. It shouldn't affect the comm. Does the same problem occur to On-line monitoring? If it does, then the MX-RTC may be partially damaged and giving problem to the RAM data.

Also, if you suspect it is a contact problem, then remove the MX-RTC from the socket and clean the pins as well as the socket with WD-40 will ensure a good electrical connection. Sometime oily finger can cause a thin oil film to be applied to the pin and resulting in intermittent contact problems.
Email: support@triplc.com
Tel: 1-877-TRI-PLCS

plc_user

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 02:11:25 PM »
I am using the OMRON protocol with my HMI.  The funny thing is that the problem goes away after removing the RTC module.  

The used the online monitor after the unit was powered up with the RTC installed.  I never used it after so I don't know if there is a problem that way.  The RAM locations never seemed to lose their proper values when power was removed, so I don't think there is a problem with the RTC unit.  I installed the RTC several times with different approaches and this problem with the HMI timing out still happened.  

I will try the WD-40 idea because, I am sure that I touched the pins.

P.S.  I was wondering if setting the clock could be the problem? I don't remember setting the clock after installing the RTC module.

plc_user

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006, 06:29:32 PM »
UPDATE:

Tried the WD-40 solution with no success.  I will try the online monitoring and see if it times out like the HMI also does.  I was wondering if not setting the date would cause this problem?

Also, is there a magically setsystem command that would lengthen the comunication before a timeout error would occur?

Thanks in advance

plc_user

plc_user

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2006, 05:27:54 PM »
UPDATE: UPDATE:

After taking out the RTC in my existing equipment and placing it into a MD888+ on my work bench and firing it up, I get no communication with the unit and TLServer.  The RTC must be bad.  Let me know what you think.

Thanks

plc_user

No matter what, you still have a great product.  Best wishes.

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Internet Programmable PLCs
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2006, 06:41:28 PM »
If the MX-RTC is bad, you can get a replacement unit. Please contact sales@tri-plc.com to get a replacement unit shipped to you. Thank you.
Email: support@triplc.com
Tel: 1-877-TRI-PLCS