Author Topic: No PLC communication with TLServer  (Read 6850 times)

Bruceh

• a llama no longer !!
    • View Profile
No PLC communication with TLServer
« on: September 27, 2006, 09:31:17 PM »
Can anyone give some suggestions....

I have a MD888+ master PLC handling communications between a network of MD888+'s and the companies computer network.
The majority of the work is appending data to text files and it works just fine.

However when I use TLServer 3.0 to communicate with the master PLC I get no response eg IR* gives (Warning: No Response from PLC !). Have closed and reopened the ports - no change

When I connect using Trilogi 6.1 I can do on-line monitoring, transfer programs - the full works - communications look fine.

Any suggestions welcomed

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Internet Programmable PLCs
Re:No PLC communication with TLServer
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 09:50:19 PM »
I assume the master PLC connects to the slave PLCs via RS485. So is TLServer connected to the RS232 port of the master PLC? Is it a one-to-one connection between the TLServer and the master PLC? If so then you can use the "IR*" command to test. If not, what is the ID of the master PLC? E.g. if master PLC ID is 01, You can then enter "@01IR00*" to see if it respond.

Or is the master PLC connected to the XServer in order to connect to the computer network? If so, then how does the TLServer connect to the master PLC? There will not be any more free serial port on the master PLC for TLServer to connect to in this case. If you connect the TLServer to the RS485 port of the master PLC then you will have a problem because the master PLC is sending out commands via its RS485 port to the slave PLCs and the port is therefore not available as a slave port to the TLServer.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 09:51:12 PM by support »
Email: support@triplc.com
Tel: 1-877-TRI-PLCS

Bruceh

• a llama no longer !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 10:56:07 PM »
Master PLC connects to intranet via an Xserver on its RS232 port.
Master PLC connects to the PLC network via RS485 port.

TLServer looks for the Master PLC at a static IP address.
Master PLC's ID is 01 but when I send @01IR005A* as you suggested I still get Warning: No response from PLC. Same as IR*

The bit that has me confused is the fact that using TRilogi 6.1 I can monitor on-line, set RTC, get hardware info, transfer file to PLC etc....and the PLC is still doing its file appending job. Its just TLServer that can not get a response from the PLC

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Internet Programmable PLCs
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2006, 05:24:26 AM »
Since your master PLC is already connected to the company's network via the XServer, TRiLOGI software can access the XServer using its IP address. If you try to access TLServer's IP address from TRiLOGI, then the TLServer has to be physically connected to the PLC serial port in order to communicate with the PLC. Since your PC running the TLServer is not connected to the PLC's serial, TLServer will not get any response from the PLC when you do the "IR*" command.

You may like to think of TLServer like a software which turns your PC into an XServer and you should get the idea.
Email: support@triplc.com
Tel: 1-877-TRI-PLCS